Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Burning Sensation on chest and back
Jan 31, 2003

Dr. Frascino,

I really appreciate the fact that people like you take time out of their days to help others. Without the help you have provided on this site I don't know what I would do. I've been on here for hours upon hours but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I was tested by EIA 2 months after a somewhat high risk exposure and it came back negative. Now at four and half months I'm having this burning sensation across my entire chest and a lot of my back. It feels like sunburn almost. I was wondering if this is a symptom of HIV. I have already went back to the clinic to get another test, but I don't receive the results for two weeks. It would be of great help if you could answer this question. I feel that many others would like to know the answer as well.

Sincerely, A very Grateful Person

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Very Grateful Person,

What is a "somewhat high risk exposure?" There usually isn't too much of a gray zone there. For instance, you either used a condom or not. Second point, the 2-month test, although encouraging, isn't really all that helpful. The 3-month result is what you need. Third, you've spent hours upon hours searching for an answer. Well, after all that searching, if you didn't turn up lots and lots of folks with similar symptoms, chances are those symptoms really aren't all that common or characteristic, right? Right! A "sunburn sensation" across the chest and back is not suggestive of HIV ARS. Most likely, your test results in 2 weeks will once again be negative. Don't drive yourself crazy in the interim. Read a good book rather than searching aimlessly on the Net. Your answer will be back soon.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hopes and Dreams in your hands, only once more!
Next
HEALER...YOU ARE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.