Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Procrit is it really all that safe
Jan 24, 2003

Hey there Dr. Goodlooking, First off my doctor doesn't look anything at all like you or Dr. Steve. -- bummer for me. Apparently I'm anemic (among several other HIV related problems)and my doc want to start me on Procrit shots (after talking to you at a meeting or something). I trust you but I'm wondering how safe this stuff really is. My doc say's it's realatively new. Should I be concerned or watch out for any side effects? I've had a hard time tolerating many HIV drugs .... strangely enough I never had trouble tolerating all kinds of street drugs -- go figure! I really respect what you've done with your life and I too want a copy of that AIDS Fundraiser videotape! Can't believe you and Dr. Steve both are concert pianists as well as AIDS docs! Many thanks -- even if you don't have time to answer this. When are you coming back to Palm Springs or San Diego? Barry

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Barry,

You live in Palm Springs and you want a doctor who looks like Dr. Steve or me! OK, we'll be right there. Pour me a fancy umbrella drink and pass the suntan lotion, OK? Actually, I will be in Palm Springs this weekend! But sorry, I don't make house calls!

Glad to hear you are going to have your anemia treated. Procrit is identical to a substance your body produces naturally called "erythropoietin." Erythropoietin stimulates red blood cell production in the bone marrow, which in turn corrects the anemia problem.

What does your doctor mean by "realatively" new? I'm not exactly sure what "realatively" means, but I can tell you that Procrit has been used in clinical practice for over a decade. Ten years experience can hardly be called new (even for red wine!).

Is it safe? Oh yeah! As a matter of fact, it's one of the safest drugs we use to treat HIV-related conditions! It has essentially no side effects nor does it have any drug interactions with other medications, be they HIV-related or not! It's been used in more than 1 million patients! That's a whole lot of clinical experience. So, Procrit has an excellent track record for both safety and efficacy. You shouldn't have any problem with it at all. It's self-administered by a small injection given just under the skin once per week! If you do have questions, write back (or find me in Palm Springs this weekend!).

"A Concerted Effort 2002: A Concert for World AIDS Day" videotapes can be ordered through our foundation's office for $25 per copy (just in case they are all checked out at your local Blockbuster!):

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Drive, Suite 200 Los Altos, CA 94024

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
anemia test
Next
thank you

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.