Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thailand, Underwear and ARS w/o Fever???
Jan 22, 2003

1. Exactly 6 weeks ago I had sex with a sex worker in thailand. I had a small cut on the shaft of my penis but I wore a condom. After ejaculating I put my underwear on leaving the condom on, went to the bathroom, took off the condom, pissed, showered, and then put my dirty underwear back on. I was wondering if it is possible that vaginal fluids/blood on the outside of my condom got smeared on the inside of my underwear when I walked to the bathroom to take off the condom...and that after showering and putting the same underwear back on, those vaginal fluids/blood, could have gotten into the small cut on my penis. The next morning I did notice 10-15 small fluid(not blood, or semen) marks on the inside of the underwear that definetely came from the cut on my penis. So anyhow, I'm slightly worried and just wanted to know if you thought HIV transmission was possible this way.

2. During acute HIV is it possible to have swollen glands and other symtoms without having a fever. My glands in my neck, armpits and groin have become swollen and slightly painful. This has happened to me several times before but it usually progresses into a cold or flu within 24 hours. Anyhow the swelling has stayed the same for 4+ days now(no progression to cold or flu) and I'm growing worried about Acute HIV, Seroconversion, ARS or whatever you want to call it. My primary question is whether swollen glands are typically the first symptom of Acute HIV. Also, is it normal for the other symptoms such as fever to come on quickly or slowly over time. Most everything I've read says a fever is the first sign of acute HIV and that the symptoms come on quickly at relatively the same time. So far no fever after 4 days of swelling glands so I haven't I been that worried.

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Now let me get this straight. You had safe sex with a pro in Thailand, and after your intimate roll in the proverbial hay, you jump out of bed and immediately put your Joe Boxers back on before taking the condom off? Might I ask why? Were you afraid she might see your Mr. Happy? I mean she's a pro, and you just finished doing the nasty. Did you really think you needed your undies just to get to the bathroom? OK, well, no matter.

Could fluids from the outside of the used condom, which was inside your Joe Boxers, have eventually found their way into a small cut on your Mr. Happy? This would be extremely, extremely unlikely. HIV doesn't live long outside the body, and besides, any minimal amount of fluids present would have most likely been absorbed by the soft cotton of your Calvin Kleins or whatever (providing, of course, you weren't wearing one of those kinky plastic thongs things!).

Whatever symptoms you are experiencing, they should not be related to HIV. By the way, HIV can never be diagnosed by symptoms. So don't even try. Symptoms can be notoriously unreliable. If you remain worried, get HIV tested at the 3-month mark.

Finally, didn't your mother ever teach you that if you have to put dirty undies back on, at least wear them inside out?

I think you can stop worrying!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
no energy -- is it my liver?
Next
Right Again!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.