you probably think my question is stupid...

hello Dr.BOB, i've been asking you this same question since last year and you've never replied! i am aware that this is not the right forum, but please take a minute to help me, i really need an answer. my question is concerning the transmission of HIV. this past november i kissed a guy who had what he said was a popped pimple (but to me it looked more like a blister, but when you pop a pimple they look kind of like a pimple, to tell you the truth i don't know what it was) that was located right below his bottom lip, it was touching his bottom lip a little. the center of the pimple had a thin scab forming but the skin around it was still a little red and irritated. my concern is that i came into contact with a little bit of blood because pimples do bleed a little when you pop them, although i did not see any noticeable blood. can you get hiv this way? or could i have gotten infected through the irritated red skin around the scab? and does this exposure count as "infected fluids coming in direct contact with a mucous membrane"? please help me, whats worse is that now i've been sick with flu-like symptoms(coughing, runny nose, muscle aches, etc) that come and go and this has been going on for longer than a week. please help me understand the ways hiv is transmitted through blood contact.thank you for your time DR. BOB

You've been asking this same question since last year and I never replied? Well, after all, last year was only 19 days ago! And besides, you are correct. I'm not supposed to answer "am I infected" type questions in this forum. The Body has an entire expert forum, "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention," dedicated to questions like this, and that's where you should post your question if you really want to get an answer, OK?

Briefly, you have nothing to worry about when kissing Mr. Pimply Puss, at least as far as HIV is concerned. HIV is not going to get through a thin scab nor is the "red area" around the zapped zit of any concern. By the way, exactly how big was this thing anyway? Did it look like it should be surrounded by orange cones and "keep out" police tape?

Your flu-like symptoms are most likely the flu. Fluids, rest, Tylenol, and less anxiety about possible HIV should clear the symptoms up for you.

As for helping you to "understand the ways HIV is transmitted through blood contact," again I strongly invite you to visit our Safer Sex/HIV Prevention Forum. And send Pimple-Guy a tube of Clearasil several days before your next date.

Stay well.

Good Dr. Handsome You Made a Mistake
god bless you