hawaii guy update

hey dr. bob! hope you had a nice christmas. you look great in your new picture! i like it! anyway i took an elisa test a few days ago. it is more than 3 months.

anyway i hope all goes well (as you say it probably will). but i will ask you this though...is it normal for your arm to be black and blue or bruised looking around the area where your blood was drawn?

i don't remember my arm being this black and blue or bruised when i took my last hiv test. anyway i await my results. thanks again for all the info and help you have given me. hope to hear from you. hawaii guy!

Hey Hawaii Guy,

Is it "normal?" Well, I don't think I would say it's normal, but it's certainly extremely common and not at all something to worry about. A bruise at the puncture site occurs when some blood from the vein that was used to draw blood leaks into the skin and surrounding tissues. After you get blood drawn, it's always a good idea to put pressure on the spot to decrease the chance of bruising. Of course if the blood drawer has shaky hands and/or is wearing coke-bottle thick eyeglasses like Mr. Magoo the chances of bruising may be increased. However, sometimes even with the best blood-drawing technique, bruising can occur.

Good luck, Hawaii Guy. I'll be waiting for that Hawaiian WOO-HOO sometime very soon.

Fatigue -- depressed about being depressed
BONE MARROW GROWTH DISORDER AND PROCRIT