probability with menstarl blood present

Firstly Doctor, you're doing a wonderful job, keep up the good work! You're outlook on life is inspirational. I writing because I am worried about a possible HIV(status uknown) infection from a one time encounter with an ex girlfreind. She was menstrating and stupid me had a few too many drinks and did not use a condom. The girl in question says she was tested and is fine, but is not the most trustworthy person.This was about four months ago

1) at two weeks I had some numbness in my leg, a swollen gland in my groin, some dizziness, and a slight fever.

2) after about two months I had a sore throat and was really fatigued.

3) at four months I have been experiencing mouth sores and thrush

I can be a hypocondiac and don't know how much of this is psycho sematic. My doctor has said the thrush was pretty minor, I probably have a common virus and not to worry, the symptoms didn't seem serious enough to be HIV related. I have also read that most of these symptoms as related to HIV(trush, numbness) would come later on. I have an appointment to get tested but have really been frozen by fear and anxiety, I've already missed two appointments because I'm having trouble dealing with this. Is it true my probablity is low for a one time encounter, even with menstral blood present? How much does this increase the risk of transmission. Hopefully I'm a worried well but could use some advice from you! Thanks for your time and either way I plan to contribute to your foundation, Happy Holidays

Remember, all "Am I Infected?" questions must be posted to our HIV Prevention and Safe Sex Expert Forum.

Since you at least mentioned "fatigue" (Fatigue and Anemia being the topic of this forum), I'll comment very briefly.

The risk of acquiring HIV per episode of receptive vaginal exposure is estimated at 0.1 to 0.2 percent (1 in 1000-2000 chance per episode). Although we don't have a formal statistical estimate for the insertive partner, I can say that the insertive partner's risk is always significantly less than the receptive partner's. These estimates are for people having sex with a partner known to be HIV-positive. So what's your risk? Your partner's status is unknown; that decreases your risk. You were the "insertive" partner; that decreases your risk. Menstrual blood may increase risk, but there are no formal statistics. Bottom line: Your risk is very low, but not completely non-existent. It's been longer than 3 months since your night of nookie, so stop procrastinating. Get the test! I agree with your doctor. Your "symptoms" are not worrisome for HIV. The odds are very much in your favor!

Good luck. I'll bet you'll be WOO-HOOing very soon.

Thanks for the contribution.

Thank you for being who you are
Fatigue Confuse S'porean