The Nosepick - Apologies for an incorrect posting, pls read all same

Dear Dr Robert,

I wanted to apologise for posting you a message last week along the lines of 'Am I infected'. In my haste (or was that worry wart panic), I posted you my incident after having browsed your terrific feedback to others seeking the 'Am I infected' advice. I know now, I should have posted it to the 'Safe Sex and HIV Prevention', and have since done so (no response yet), I guess Dr Ryan is being forever bombarded too.

I just wanted to tell you, that I think you are doing a mighty job, and I appreciate reading your witty comments and kind advice to others.

Which now brings me back to me. I'm still worrying about my fling with a Bangkok bar girl, I'm still worried about not washing my hands properly, then during the night, yep, doing the good old nose pick to clear the airways. I know it's not your job, but I can't find many incidents like this (I'm surprised because surely I'm not the only fool to do it!). I was hoping you could spare alittle time to comment on this please, not that it's a disguisting habit, I know that already, but whether you think there's some risk of HIV transmission, because I've read that there are mucous membranes in the nose, and I can only wonder whether there was any survival of hiv in the vaginal fluids left on my hand (possibly under my nails) when I went for the golden dig.

Oh, I'm an Australian if it helps, and I heard a great joke about Australians. Goes like this.

Q. How do you break an Australians finger?

A. Punch him in the nose!

Anyway, I'm still going to wait out the 3 months and have the test, but I would welcome any feedback from you.

God bless you Dr Robert.

Hello Aussie Gold Digger,

HIV doesn't live very long outside the body, so trying to get the bat out of the cave during the night after a Bangkok bargirl fling is not at all worrisome. Yes, the nose contains mucous membranes, but the chance of HIV surviving in vaginal juices on your hands (or under your nails) is remote to non-existent. That doesn't mean you shouldn't' stop digging for gold. As for "not finding many incidents like this," well, I don't' know about the vaginal fluids part, but next time you are stuck in traffic, just check out the dudes in the cars on either side of you. Chances are you'll catch at least one of them in up to their knuckles!

I liked the Aussie joke . . . . Even better: Q: What happens to an Aussie who walks into a wall with a hard-on? A: He breaks his nose.

Keep smiling. I doubt you even need that 3-month test. It will certainly be negative.

Stay well.

Believe, I'm infected doc!
You are a WONDERFUL WONDERFUL MAN!!!