Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The Nosepick - Apologies for an incorrect posting, pls read all same
Dec 4, 2002

Dear Dr Robert,

I wanted to apologise for posting you a message last week along the lines of 'Am I infected'. In my haste (or was that worry wart panic), I posted you my incident after having browsed your terrific feedback to others seeking the 'Am I infected' advice. I know now, I should have posted it to the 'Safe Sex and HIV Prevention', and have since done so (no response yet), I guess Dr Ryan is being forever bombarded too.

I just wanted to tell you, that I think you are doing a mighty job, and I appreciate reading your witty comments and kind advice to others.

Which now brings me back to me. I'm still worrying about my fling with a Bangkok bar girl, I'm still worried about not washing my hands properly, then during the night, yep, doing the good old nose pick to clear the airways. I know it's not your job, but I can't find many incidents like this (I'm surprised because surely I'm not the only fool to do it!). I was hoping you could spare alittle time to comment on this please, not that it's a disguisting habit, I know that already, but whether you think there's some risk of HIV transmission, because I've read that there are mucous membranes in the nose, and I can only wonder whether there was any survival of hiv in the vaginal fluids left on my hand (possibly under my nails) when I went for the golden dig.

Oh, I'm an Australian if it helps, and I heard a great joke about Australians. Goes like this.

Q. How do you break an Australians finger?

A. Punch him in the nose!

Anyway, I'm still going to wait out the 3 months and have the test, but I would welcome any feedback from you.

God bless you Dr Robert.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Aussie Gold Digger,

HIV doesn't live very long outside the body, so trying to get the bat out of the cave during the night after a Bangkok bargirl fling is not at all worrisome. Yes, the nose contains mucous membranes, but the chance of HIV surviving in vaginal juices on your hands (or under your nails) is remote to non-existent. That doesn't mean you shouldn't' stop digging for gold. As for "not finding many incidents like this," well, I don't' know about the vaginal fluids part, but next time you are stuck in traffic, just check out the dudes in the cars on either side of you. Chances are you'll catch at least one of them in up to their knuckles!

I liked the Aussie joke . . . . Even better: Q: What happens to an Aussie who walks into a wall with a hard-on? A: He breaks his nose.

Keep smiling. I doubt you even need that 3-month test. It will certainly be negative.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Believe, I'm infected doc!
Next
You are a WONDERFUL WONDERFUL MAN!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.