Oxford needs help

Dr Bob, I know that this forum is for Fatigue and Anemia related problems but would really appreciate your opinion on this matter. I have read this section everyday for six long months without posting a question but need your assurance (or not) before I can put this matter behind me.

My story is. 24 weeks ago I had what I thought was protected insertive sex with a South African girl (Condom seemed to be intact, but I am not sure what type is was - Lambskin - would I be able to tell? Unfortunatly I had had one too many shandys) Anyway I developed testicular pain, went to the GU clinic who tested for STDs and HIV 1/2 antibody at 14.5 weeks - all negative. Because the window period over here in Blighty is 12 weeks they did not want to test again but agreed for a further test at 18.5 weeks to put my mind to rest. HIV 1/2 antibody - negative. I thought the matter was behind me - only two weeks before the test I had developed a sore throat. Two days after I had the second HIV test done I had a swab taken from my mouth which highlighted a yeast infection. I took Nystain and thought it did not go away as I had a bad taste in my throat but the results of my second swab four weeks later showed it had. I was never aware of any white plaques in the mouth but did have a couple of pieces arrive in my mouth over a period of 4 weeks. The doctors put this down to a combination of stress, beer, smoking, bad diet and over zealous use of strong antibacterial lozenges for the sore throat. They refuse to test anymore and look at me as if I am mad. In the 23rd week I felt very fatigued and had a mild fever for 12 hours and have developed what might be a large ulcer in the back of my mouth. The sore throat persists on and off to this day (2 months). The doctors are not aware of the fever but I do not want to go back again. My girlfriend is over from Czech Rep next week and I do not know what to do.

Dr Bob Six months of hell 180 sleepless nights tears guilt failed MSc exams almost lost my job and several friends - Can I yell a final WOO-HOO? and learn from this experience.

And they say the British always keep a stiff upper lip. Please Dr.Bob just this once a yes or no would suffice. Warm regards from Oxford.

Hello Oxford,

Six months of hell is more than enough. After all, you had "protected" insertive sex, which means you should have been "protected" from HIV, right? True, lambskin condoms are not nearly as effective in preventing HIV as latex or polyurethane. That's why you should always provide your own protection. Your HIV tests are negative to 18.5 weeks. That's conclusive. You are HIV-negative. I agree with your physicians that your symptoms are not HIV-related. "Stress, beer, smoking, and bad diet" may indeed be having a negative impact on your health. HIV is not your problem. As for not knowing what to do with your Czech Republic girlfriend next week, how about dinner, dancing, and a night of passionate "latex-protected" romance? That usually goes over quite well.

Short and sweet!
lyme disease