The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dec 4, 2002

Hi Dr. Frascino!

I keep getting bouts of anemia that may have been from endometriosis. I have had surgery to correct this last month. I also have hep C from a blood transfusion during surgery in the late 70's.

I take 300mg of ferrous fumarate every 4 days or so. My last blood count was 13 for ferratin & 130 for hemoglobin. I read through all your mail. I gather that ferratin should be from 27-200 & hemoglobin should be 12-16. Am I correct? I am a 44 yr. old female. I do not drink or smoke. I exercise (weight lift & walk) for about an hour a minimum of 5 days per week.

My questions are:

1) How do I know how much iron to take & what kind? My doctor has not been very specific.

2) How often should I be tested & at what point can I stop?

Even though My counts seem to be correct I:

- cannot sleep properly - my heart races a lot - I am tired all the time - my memory loss is frightening

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Should I be seeing a specialist and if so who or what type.

Thank you very much in advance Dr. Frascino.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Edmonton, Canada,

This forum is for HIV-positive folks. Briefly, yes, endometriosis can cause anemia due to blood loss. Hopefully the surgery has improved that situation. Normal hemoglobin ranges for women are 12-16 g/dL. What should you do? Talk to your doctor about his specific recommendations for iron. I hesitate to give you my specific dosing recommendations without knowing more about your case. On to your second question, "How often should you be tested and at what point can you stop? Testing for what? Anemia? HIV? Iron deficiency? I'm not sure what you are asking. Again, talk to your doctor. If he won't answer your questions, find another doctor who will! As for a specialist, you should see a hepatologist for your hepatitis C follow-up. Hope this helps.

Dr. Bob

retroperitoneal nodes
i THINK i can wooo hoo!!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint