Dr Bob! Where are you??

Hi Dr. Bob! Getting a little concerned out here.. you haven't posted any witty responses in a while. Hope everything is okay!!

I have a question, I know it doesn't belong here, but the other forum to which it belongs, is closed. Do you know anything about thrush? I am an ex smoker(okay only for 10 days now.. but I'm determined this time) I have smoked for over half my life(that would be for apprx 16 years). I had recently noticed some burning in my mouth when I would smoke along with a kind of metallic taste. I still have that feeling and taste, but reading through the archives, I keep seeing that thrush would be a creamy paste like substance. I am pretty sure that I have coated tongue. I also have a dry tongue but my saliva seems normal. I just thought it was from smoking. Anyway, when I feel my cheeks with my tongue, there is are tiny bumps on both sides of my cheeks. I ran my finger nail across and had some sort of creamy yet more mucuosy with "cheek skin" mixed in. Does this sound like thrush to you? I don't have a thick coating in my mouth or tongue. But there is a little bit of white on tongue and changes colors with what I eat or drink. Yes, I am a worried well.. I know that i had extremely risky encounters a few years ago. I just never knew what any of the symptoms were and now am not sure if HIV is what is causing them. There are many more, but this is one that is beginning to annoy me. So what do you think???

Hope to see that everything is okay over there. Would love to read more of your wonderful sense of humor!!

Thanks much!

Hello Ex-smoker!

Remember this forum is for anemia and fatigue-related questions in folks who are confirmed HIV-positive. Briefly, your symptoms do not sound like thrush. If you had "extremely risky encounters" a few years ago, go ahead and get tested. HIV "symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV-positive! If you took the risk, you must take the test!

Congratulations on giving up cigarettes! Marlboro men are no longer considered sexy, and smoking is indeed "extremely risky" behavior!

Sorry for my delay in responding to some questions. My foundation's annual fundraiser, "A Concerted Effort 2002: A Concert for World AIDS Day" took place last Sunday. That event is very labor- and time-intensive for me. Details about the event can be see on The Foundation's website, www.concertedeffort.org.

Stay well, and stay off the butts (well cigarettes anyway).

Close contact with hiv infected person
Fatigue better, anemia better, now another question for you!!!!