|elisa is reliable enough??
Nov 28, 2002
dear Dr. please answer these two questions 1) if elisa is done after 6 and 8 months and gives negative result can it be completely relied upon. i am asking it because i have heard that elisa also gives false negative. 2) can fatigue and weight loss start right fromthe beginning i.e. just a few weeks after the exposure? it will be a great help for me if you clarify these two points to me. thanks
Response from Dr. Frascino
These questions belong in the Safe Sex, HIV Prevention Forum.
1. 6-month ELISA is considered conclusive. 2. Fatigue is multifactorial and therefore can be related to many potential causes, such as depression, medication side effects, anemia, etc. HIV-related fatigue increases in frequency and severity as the disease progresses.
Similar story with weight loss. If you don't eat because you're depressed, you'll lose weight, whether you are HIV+ or not. However, true HIV wasting is most frequent and severe as the disease progresses.
Hope that helps,
A QUESTION ABOUT THRUSH...
What is happening?I am CONFUSE.
- Can AIDS Be Transmitted Through Period Blood?
- Can You Get HIV From Precum Touching Vagina?
- Chance Of Getting HIV From Condom Slipped
- Chances Of Getting HIV From Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation
- Do People Get AIDS From Drinking After Someone?
- Are White Bumps On Penis A Symptom Of HIV?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.