elisa is reliable enough??

dear Dr. please answer these two questions 1) if elisa is done after 6 and 8 months and gives negative result can it be completely relied upon. i am asking it because i have heard that elisa also gives false negative. 2) can fatigue and weight loss start right fromthe beginning i.e. just a few weeks after the exposure? it will be a great help for me if you clarify these two points to me. thanks

These questions belong in the Safe Sex, HIV Prevention Forum.

1. 6-month ELISA is considered conclusive. 2. Fatigue is multifactorial and therefore can be related to many potential causes, such as depression, medication side effects, anemia, etc. HIV-related fatigue increases in frequency and severity as the disease progresses.

Similar story with weight loss. If you don't eat because you're depressed, you'll lose weight, whether you are HIV+ or not. However, true HIV wasting is most frequent and severe as the disease progresses.

Hope that helps,

A QUESTION ABOUT THRUSH...
What is happening?I am CONFUSE.