You are damn good, sir!!!

I want to tell you first that you do an incredible job at what you do. It's really sad that I never realized what a great job alot of folks like yourself do. It's even sadder that I, as many others, never gave this disease a second glance until we felt like we may have been infected. I apologive for all of us. Before I ask my question, I want to thank you. I've asked you only one question before, and you responded quickly as well as professionaly. I have also thanked you once with a donation to your charity. I live in KY where I've read that HIV is present in less than 4 out of every 100,000 people. I already know your answer before I even ask. I can promise you though that I am not asking for myself. I am so concerned for my wife. I have one exposure.(Unprotected insertive vaginal intercourse in ST Louis) I have tested negative elisa at 2, 3, 4, and 6 months. I realized at 6 months that my mind was causing all of my symptoms. I put the whole thing behind me, and moved on. This exposure occured in Aug of 2001. In the past few months the following have occured. First with my wife. She has been itching for 3 months. Her entire body itches all day and night. She has been tested for allergies and everything is fine. I have no idea what is causing the itching. As for myself, I am experiencing an unbelievable amount of eye floaters. My liver enzymes are slightly elevated ALT and the other one I can't think of are both around 60. They were not elevated at all 2, 3 months post exposure. My vision is blurry as can be, and these damn floaters are horrible. I get out of breath now all of the time. I am the only one out of breath at everything I do. I am not asking you to diagnose me, I am just asking if this seems HIV related. Do to my infidelity, my wife tested at 3 months post my exposure. It was negative. Please just tell me what to do. I've became so confident that I am not HIV+ that I am terrified to test again. But if that is what you say will make this 99.999999 that I am not, then I will go as soon as I see your response. You sound so confident in all of your responses, I will listen to whatever you say. I have never said this to another man other than my father in my entire 25 years of life, but I love you! How could anyone not care for such an honest and couragous human being like yourself. Thank you Mr Frascino.

Hello KY!

"You are damn good sir!!!"...? That sounds like dialogue from a gay porno flick.

First off, thank you for your donation to The Foundation. Your halo just got a bit brighter in heaven!

Thank you for all your kind words and yes, you were indeed correct in guessing my response. Your negative ELISA tests at 2, 3, 4, and 6 months are absolutely conclusive. You are not HIV-positive. Your wife's negative test at 3 months is further indication that HIV is not the cause of either your or her problems.

So what's happening? Your wife has itching. Allergy has been ruled out. She needs to see a dermatologist next. Itching can be related to lots of conditions. What I can say for sure is that it's not HIV.

You have a mild elevation in some of your liver function tests. This again can be related to a whole host of conditions, everything from hepatitis to laboratory error. Check with your internist. He or she will repeat the test to see if it was a transient phenomenon or if a problem is developing that could require additional workup. Either way, it's not HIV-related.

What about the floaters? Again, a very common problem. If they are bothersome, see your eye doctor. Again, it's not HIV-related.

Lastly, out of breath? Are you also out of shape? Do you smoke? Or have asthma? First step is back to your internist. He/she will listen to your lungs and perhaps send you to get a chest x-ray or pulmonary function test to see if there is a significant problem. Once again, it is not HIV-related.

Should you get more HIV tests? Absolutely not. Why waste time and money on a condition you couldn't possibly have? You and your wife's problem shouldn't be all that difficult to sort out, even in Kentucky! I do hope you both are feeling much better very soon. Thanks again for your generous donation.

Stay well.

Prostate/aids
Just a thank you note