Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

free testosterone vs total
Nov 14, 2002

My old Doc. told me that many times a poz- person can have normal total testoterone and low levels of free testosterone. I am wondering if I am on the low side? I am 43-my total# is 729ng/dl-ref. range 350-890- My free is 85.9pg/ml ref. range 47-244- However, free is 1.2-ref. range is 1.6-2.9. In all of these #'s is there any indication that I am on the low side-It seems to me my free is low the 1.2 number and the 85.9 is in the normal range but leans toward the lower ref. of 47- rather than the higher. I suffer from extreme fatigue and if these numbers indicate I need testosterone-I would want to do it.Thank you-paesano

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey there Paesano,

If you're Italian and your free testosterone is 1.2 with a reference range of 1.6-2.9, you are definitely low! We Italians should be off the scale on the high side, don't you think? The free testosterone refers to the active testosterone in your body. The remainder is protein bound and therefore not as biologically available to be active. You should definitely investigate all potential causes for your fatigue:

1. Inadequate sleep, rest, diet, and/or exercise 2. Medication side effects 3. Unrecognized infection 4. Depression/anxiety/stress 5. Anemia 6. Other hormonal causes

Your treatment should be directed at treating all the components found to be potentially contributing to your fatigue, including low testosterone. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Ok I need to know should I woohoo?
Next
Woooohoooo!!! the wait is over

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.