The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE Anrogel Use
Nov 14, 2002

Yes I am HIV+. I realize that male hormones are not the infectious disease doctors specialty but with the number of HIV+ men who suffer from low testosterone caused by hiv disease you would think when every other conceivable reason for someone being extremely fatigued, depressed with no sex drive that they would send their patient to a doctor that is. Even when they finally took my testosterone level which was just barely in the normal level they still did not want to give me testosterone. Lucky for me I found a doctor that would and after feeling like crap for three years I felt 200 better and now am ready to return to work. I guess I do not understand why the reluctance to give androgel and why even though it is working they still are not convinced that this therapy works.

Response from Dr. Frascino

I couldn't agree with you more. If those I.D. guys had HIV and low ("barely in normal range") testosterone levels, and they were fatigued, depressed, and their Sergeant Peppers weren't able to stand at attention, I'd bet they'd be crying the Lonely Hearts Club Band Blues. And you can bet your bippy they'd be smearing the AndroGel on faster than George "W" trying to run away from an unscripted intelligent question from a news commentator.

I totally agree with your current therapy choice. Maybe your I.D. doctors will learn from your success, but don't hold your breath. Stay informed and involved in all your treatment decisions!

Dr. Bob

some concern
CD4 and Cd4?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint