Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob -I know you won't ignore me
Nov 7, 2002

Dr.Bob- I really admire the way you answer questions and the courage you show daily in the face of your disease. I truly feel for you and the way you obtained this horrific illness. Anyway, here goes. Hetero male On March 20th, 2002 I was traveling on business in Puerto Rico. Out with some clients, I got very intoxicated and went to a strip club. In the club I was presented with the opportunity to go into a back room with a stripper for 150. I was so drunk and had plenty of on me, so I did it, despite being married with 2 kids. Most immoral, horrific thing I've done in my life. Nothing else is even a close 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. Went back there and honestly didn't know what to expect. In the States, when I've had dances from strippers I usually just talk to them. I'm a pretty nervous guy around beautiful women. But in Puerto Rico, this woman did not understand English and I was out of control. She started with a hand job and proceeded to move to oral sex. She did put a condom on me. Ultimately, there were 1 or 2 thrusts of vaginal sex before the culmination. Don't think the condom broke, but it was dark and I could barely comprehend what was going on. Anyway, 48 hours later my mouth was filled with white gunk and I felt awful. Lost about 10 lbs. in the next few weeks and began experiencing joint pain , extreme fatigue, purplish dots showing up on my body, oral thrush. The thrush and pain and overall unwell feeling has literally not ceased in the nearly 7 months its beeen. Of course, I obsess about this 24 hours a day. Can't really think about or concentrate on anything else. Finally, at 6 months and 20 days I had the balls to go get an ELISA test at Quest Diagnostics. It came back negative at 6 months and 20 days. But I still show all the symptoms. Is it possible I picked up a variant Carribean strain of HIV that is not detected by U.S. ELISA tests? Please help me Doc, I'm at the end of my rope. Thanks.

Tyler

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Tyler,

Your 6-month ELISA is absolutely conclusive that you do not have HIV (Caribbean or any other variety). Your problem is that you "obsess about this 24 hours a day" and "can't really think about or concentrate on anything else." I'd be willing to bet your "thrush" isn't really thrush, and that your other symptoms of fatigue and feeling unwell are related to your stress, anxiety, and guilt over your backroom Puerto Rican adventure. I would strongly suggest you seek some professional counseling to help you cope with your irrational fear and guilt. Don't be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes. That's what makes us human. The only apparent harm your walk on the wild side induced was to wound your psyche with guilt, worry, and anxiety. This will get better with proper care and counseling. HIV is not your problem. With proper therapy for your "real" problem, you should soon be feeling much better. Get the help you need.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Advice re Unusual Case
Next
Feel like crap

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.