The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hawaii again- I think I may need a hiv doc here
Nov 7, 2002

Aloha Dr.Bob-

I'm sorry for writing to you again, but I think I may need your opinion on a good HIV doc in (Oahu) Hawaii, even though you said I don't need one. Oh yeah, thanks for replying to my earlier e-mail concerning my symptoms. You are so funny! =)

Anyway the reason I am concerned now more than ever is because of this rash on my face. It looked like a butterfly rash so I thought it was Lupus, but the derm doc said "sebborheic dermatitis" I almost fainted. I've heard that this is common in HIV infected individuals, and not in the general population. I thought that the only skin condition seen associated with recent HIV infection was a rash that comes with ARS. Can this be a symptom only a month after a possible exposure? I've NEVER had this before Dr.Bob.

I'm ready to throw in the white flag I think. I just may need a referral to a good HIV doc here in hawaii. Thanks again Dr.Bob.

Aloha, Steve

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Steve,

Seborrheic dermatitis doesn't equal HIV disease by any stretch of the imagination. I have that referral for you. But I remain convinced you won't need it, so I'll just hold on to it for now. Don't "throw in the white flag." Instead, just see a dermatologist if your seborrheic dermatitis is bothering you. Get your HIV tests at 3 months. Write back and tell me it was negative, just as I predicted, and then live happily (and safely) ever after, OK?

Dr. Bob

Hey there Dr Bob
sex with an hiv positive.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint