The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nov 7, 2002

Dr. Robert, Ok, this may not be about fatigue, but I'm just trying to get you to open my email and then maybe you'll have a few seconds to write me an answer. You have already asure me that I'll be just fine after an exposure through insertive oral sex with another male (HIV+). I got 2 negative tests at 2 and 3 months (87 days). Now, when I got my 3 months test the concelor at the county clinic said that I'm ok and don't need to test anymore, but when I called the same clinic and talked to another councelor she said I have to test again at 6 months b/c 90of the infected people will test + at three months but 10 can take up to 6 months? What do you think? This got me concerned and also the symptoms I still have, especialy the swollen glands on the neck (for 3 months !) They are swollen in the morning when I wake up and go up and down during the day from being relly swollen to a normal size. Please tell me what you think, I'm still so very scared. Thanks, a

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello A,

I'll stick with my original advice - you are fine. Your risk was low (insertive oral sex). The 3-month ELISA is felt to be conclusive, especially in low-risk exposures, by many AIDS organizations. I agree with them. The CDC still recommends a 6-month test if the exposure was significant (e.g. receptive sex without a condom) and it was with an HIV-positive partner.

Don't be scared. You are indeed fine. If you want to take a 6-month test, to set your mind at ease, go ahead. It, too, will be negative.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

opposite of anemia
To err is human, to woo hoo divine - which am I?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint