fatigue.....

Dr. Robert, Ok, this may not be about fatigue, but I'm just trying to get you to open my email and then maybe you'll have a few seconds to write me an answer. You have already asure me that I'll be just fine after an exposure through insertive oral sex with another male (HIV+). I got 2 negative tests at 2 and 3 months (87 days). Now, when I got my 3 months test the concelor at the county clinic said that I'm ok and don't need to test anymore, but when I called the same clinic and talked to another councelor she said I have to test again at 6 months b/c 90of the infected people will test + at three months but 10 can take up to 6 months? What do you think? This got me concerned and also the symptoms I still have, especialy the swollen glands on the neck (for 3 months !) They are swollen in the morning when I wake up and go up and down during the day from being relly swollen to a normal size. Please tell me what you think, I'm still so very scared. Thanks, a

Hello A,

I'll stick with my original advice - you are fine. Your risk was low (insertive oral sex). The 3-month ELISA is felt to be conclusive, especially in low-risk exposures, by many AIDS organizations. I agree with them. The CDC still recommends a 6-month test if the exposure was significant (e.g. receptive sex without a condom) and it was with an HIV-positive partner.

Don't be scared. You are indeed fine. If you want to take a 6-month test, to set your mind at ease, go ahead. It, too, will be negative.

Stay well.

opposite of anemia
To err is human, to woo hoo divine - which am I?