Swollen Parotid Gland

Dr. Bob:

You are the greatest!! Please quickly answer this: I was terrified of HIV for a long time after one-time insertive vaginal sex (no condom). EIAs at 1,2,3,6,9,12, and 18 months all NEGATIVE. RNA PCR 30 days after showed NO HIV RNA RECOVERED (undetected). I just went to the doc to discover that I have a swollen parotid gland on one side. I have read that this is highly suggestive of HIV infection. Is that true? Should I get tested again, say with another PCR?? I was woo-hooing until these latest symptoms. I wore condoms with my wife until the 6-month test, I am afraid of infecting her if I am a late seroconveter. I read an account of a 30-month seroconversion which scares me. What should I do??

You took 7 EIA tests and a PCR? Who are you, Bill Gates? The money spent on all those unnecessary tests could have gone a long way in treating people with HIV who can't afford medicines. Do you need another PCR? Only if you want to throw more money away. Can parotid glands swell with HIV? Yes, of course they can. They are a lymph gland, like so many others in the body. Is this your problem? Of course not! Why not? Because you don't have HIV disease.

Stop being scared. Stop wasting money. Stop reading about extremely rare circumstances of an illness you don't even have.

symptoms, please, I NEED HELP !!!!
unusual fatigue(please help!)