Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Swollen Parotid Gland
Nov 1, 2002

Dr. Bob:

You are the greatest!! Please quickly answer this: I was terrified of HIV for a long time after one-time insertive vaginal sex (no condom). EIAs at 1,2,3,6,9,12, and 18 months all NEGATIVE. RNA PCR 30 days after showed NO HIV RNA RECOVERED (undetected). I just went to the doc to discover that I have a swollen parotid gland on one side. I have read that this is highly suggestive of HIV infection. Is that true? Should I get tested again, say with another PCR?? I was woo-hooing until these latest symptoms. I wore condoms with my wife until the 6-month test, I am afraid of infecting her if I am a late seroconveter. I read an account of a 30-month seroconversion which scares me. What should I do??

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You took 7 EIA tests and a PCR? Who are you, Bill Gates? The money spent on all those unnecessary tests could have gone a long way in treating people with HIV who can't afford medicines. Do you need another PCR? Only if you want to throw more money away. Can parotid glands swell with HIV? Yes, of course they can. They are a lymph gland, like so many others in the body. Is this your problem? Of course not! Why not? Because you don't have HIV disease.

Stop being scared. Stop wasting money. Stop reading about extremely rare circumstances of an illness you don't even have.

Dr. Bob

Previous
symptoms, please, I NEED HELP !!!!
Next
unusual fatigue(please help!)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.