Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thanks D.BoB please answer
Nov 1, 2002

Dr Bob, Thank you for replying to my quesiton reguarding my positive western blot. Can oyu see where this is driving me crazy? I know I have been told I am negative by numerous doctors you included, but just how could it be? I had the worst flu I have felt, I mean it felt like mono worse. With all the documented illnesses acute pahse I felt how could it be wrong? The rash on my forehead was like a pimple rash, the muscle fatigue was seveere and the dry mouth was excruciating. Just how could it be wrong with the comulation of all these symptoms right after a high risk exposure? Please try to help me.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello You Again,

OK, for the final time. You've had a gazillion HIV negative tests. You had one positive Western Blot, which should never have been ordered, because without a previously positive ELISA tests, the Western Blot gives too many false positive tests. So, let's assume you never had this Western Blot test done, because it should never have been ordered and means nothing without a previously positive ELISA, OK? What would you be left with? A gazillion negative HIV tests and numerous doctors, myself included, telling you that you are HIV negative. What about the symptoms? They are not caused by HIV. Most likely, you did just have the flu. And now you have loads of stress/anxiety symptoms. So, can I "see where this is driving you crazy?" Absolutely. You are driving yourself crazy, searching for an illness you couldn't possibly have. As for "how could it be" that you have been told by so many doctors and so many tests that you don't have HIV? The answer to that one is easy! You don't have HIV!!! We just can't say it any plainer than that. I'll once again strongly suggest you see a psychiatrist to help you cope with your completely irrational fears over a non-existent HIV infection. That is your best hope for getting well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Probability....
Next
how can this be....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.