re: 17 year old guy

you told that 17 year old guy that gay sex and straight sex carry the same risk for a man. are you kidding? that is simply a falsehood. you know it is. and its irresponsible to say that.

Hey now, calm down. That young man's question centered on whether 2 HIV-negative men having sex together would cause one or both of them to become HIV-positive. Obviously, this guy has a lot to learn. What I told him was "the virus doesn't know or care if you're a guy or gal. So whether gay sex or straight sex, the risks remain the same." By that, I meant unprotected sex is risky, whether it is gay or hetero. Unfortunately, as this young man's question reveals, many folks still believe this disease has something to do with being gay. It doesn't. Unprotected sex is risky, gay or straight. Anal intercourse is practiced by heterosexuals as well as by gay men. I also advised this young man "there is a very easy way to stay negative. Use a latex condom properly . . . and for more information, check out our Safer Sex Expert Forum."

I'm sorry if you found my comments "irresponsible;" however, I'll stand by the advice I gave. For your benefit, as well as others, looking for our best estimate of per-exposure risk for specific sexual activities, published studies indicate:

1. The risk for HIV transmission per episode of receptive penile-anal sexual exposure is estimated at 0.1 percent - 3 percent. Receptive partners have the highest risk. 2. The risk per episode of receptive vaginal exposure is estimated at 0.1 percent - 0.2 percent.

Sorry for any confusion. Hopefully this will clarify things. OK?

re: mr popular
Ciao Roberto, help from Italy