Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

whatdaya say BOB! Danish from Cleveland
Oct 22, 2002

Howdy Bob, I have been reading your emails and i found one of yours replies which makes me ask a question. Im sure even the HIV JACKS, fatigue suffers, would want to hear of any positive input you might have on this so thats why i am posting it. You stated, "If you try to grow your own T-cells outside the body with IL2 (I did this as a research protocol years ago), you can't determine which T-cells are infected and which are not. Also, T-cells grown outside the body with a growth factor may not behave the same way as cells your body makes."

My question is two fold, are research labs now working on tests to determine which t cells are infected and which are not, and if not how can we get labs to go ahead on this? The second question is "are labs and researches now trying to find out how grown t cells with IL-2 will react when fused back into a human body!"

Bob you are the man! Please stay well. Many here love you and pull for you!

Love,

Danish Ass from Cleveland

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Danish Ass from Cleveland,

What's a Danish Ass doing in Cleveland anyway?

The depletion and repletion of T-cells are highly complex issues and remain at the heart of HIV research. I'd love to write an extended answer to your question, as it plays right into my specialty as an immunologist, but the reply would probably put most of our readers to sleep. By way of background and for a reasonably simplistic review of this topic, check out www.prn.org. Click on the article by Dr. Joseph McCune, M.D. Hopefully that will give you some idea of where we are at the moment. By the way, it's "NY Jack," not "HIV Jacks." (I'm assuming that's an entirely different group, as you can probably imagine.)

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Triomune
Next
Am I a freak...or what?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.