Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is a 27 guage needle considered large-bore
Oct 22, 2002

Dear Dr. Bob:

I am sorry for lying (I said I would never bother you again) I am the former dental asst. that cut herself with an excavator that was bloody. In addition to that, a few months later my DDS accidentally stuck me with a 27 guage needle right after injecting novacaine into a patients gums. I am not sure how deep the stick was, after about two minutes I took my glove off and didn't notice any mark or anything, but obviously I was stuck with the needle.

I read UCSF's guidelines for PEP (even though this happened a few years ago) and read the risk factors. It seems they are higher for needles used to draw blood. Would an injection needle that DDS' use be considered large bore and high risk?

I am seeing a therepist and am now on Zoloft just so I can get myself to the point where I can take the test. Oh Doctor, I am beside myself. And again, thank you for being an angel and truly, this time, I will not bother you again as you will have answered all of my questions regarding my risks.

Thank you so much and God bless you. By the way, give a pat to Presto.

Worried Sick

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi again, Worried Sick,

I'm glad you are on Zoloft and that you're seeing a therapist. If this dentist used large-bore needles for his/her work, I doubt many patients would want to see him very often. Your risk remains extremely low. If and when you get tested, it will be negative and you'll think back on all this "worried-sick" stuff, and wonder why you let it bother you for so long.

Presto thanks you for the pat and sends a nice wet kiss to help ease your worries. Stay well. (Both Presto and I agree you really have very little to worry about.) Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
noticeable red dots
Next
SIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.