Is a 27 guage needle considered large-bore

Dear Dr. Bob:

I am sorry for lying (I said I would never bother you again) I am the former dental asst. that cut herself with an excavator that was bloody. In addition to that, a few months later my DDS accidentally stuck me with a 27 guage needle right after injecting novacaine into a patients gums. I am not sure how deep the stick was, after about two minutes I took my glove off and didn't notice any mark or anything, but obviously I was stuck with the needle.

I read UCSF's guidelines for PEP (even though this happened a few years ago) and read the risk factors. It seems they are higher for needles used to draw blood. Would an injection needle that DDS' use be considered large bore and high risk?

I am seeing a therepist and am now on Zoloft just so I can get myself to the point where I can take the test. Oh Doctor, I am beside myself. And again, thank you for being an angel and truly, this time, I will not bother you again as you will have answered all of my questions regarding my risks.

Thank you so much and God bless you. By the way, give a pat to Presto.

Worried Sick

Hi again, Worried Sick,

I'm glad you are on Zoloft and that you're seeing a therapist. If this dentist used large-bore needles for his/her work, I doubt many patients would want to see him very often. Your risk remains extremely low. If and when you get tested, it will be negative and you'll think back on all this "worried-sick" stuff, and wonder why you let it bother you for so long.

Presto thanks you for the pat and sends a nice wet kiss to help ease your worries. Stay well. (Both Presto and I agree you really have very little to worry about.) Good luck.

noticeable red dots
SIV