pain in the body

hi dr.bob you sound like a nice doctor. i have some questions. i have been living with aids for nearly 7 years now and have been on lots of meds. i'm taking kaletra,zerit and videx ec.i need to know why i'm still not able to work i get so tried doing just about anything and i hurt so bad all though my body.i asked over 10 doctors about it and they seem to think everything is okay. they said my wtc and my rtc are alttle off but they said i look pretty good to them. but i feel so sore all the time can you tell me what i can do or ask them? thank you, joey

Hi Joey,

Of the 10 doctors you've spoken to, are any of them HIV/AIDS specialists? That's the physician you need to address these concerns to. Chronic pain is not normal. Fatigue, although common in those of us with HIV, can often be significantly improved if the various cause or causes are identified and properly attended to. What does your doctor mean when he says your white blood cells and red blood cells are "a little off?" Is that like being "a little pregnant?" If you can't get better answers from your AIDS specialist, consider switching to a more compassionate doctor who is willing to work with you on these issues. Also, you can ask for a copy of your lab work and check on a few basic things, such as:

1. How are your CD4 counts and viral load? 2. How are your liver tests? 3. Are you anemic (hemoglobin less than 14 g/dL for men)? 4. Is your testosterone level low?

The common causes of fatigue in the setting of HIV disease include:

1. Anemia 2. Drug side effects 3. Inadequate sleep, rest, diet, and/or exercise 4. Opportunistic infections 5. Hormonal abnormalities, like low testosterone 6. Psychological causes - anxiety, stress, depression

The list for "pain" is even longer and beyond the scope of this forum.

Write back with more information (lab results and other details), if you need additional guidance.

Good luck. Hope you are feeling better very soon.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!
Im a "Worried Well", worrying like hell!