Want to know!!

Hey Doc, Sorry I'm sending you this email because no one else is answering. And I know you always answer. I was at a beach and while walking, a needle(syringe)poked me in my toe. This incident actually heppened about 3 months ago. I haven't had any symptoms but I now(about 4 days ago) got a cough that's like bronchitis, no fever or anything else. I know you can't tell me that I don't have HIV but is this cough the same dry cough associated with Acute HIV?? BTW, I'm getting checked this Friday to find out, but just asking. Anyway, also you're probably one of the greatest doctors that I've ever seen. I am sending you a check for your work and your love of life and of people. I'd be happy to meet you because I've never met angels before.Well anyway plz answer.. MR

Hello MR,

A needle in the toe? Ouch? What a way to spoil a perfectly lovely walk on the beach. Your risk of contracting HIV from the type of exposure is actually quite low. True, HIV can be transmitted by contaminated needles, for instance when an HIV-positive IV drug user shares his/her needle with an HIV-negative person. However, HIV doesn't live very long outside of the body. So, unless you tripped over the drugged-out junkie when you got the needle in the toe, we can assume the needle most likely had not just come out of someone's vein. Sure, it's a good idea to get the ELISA test on Friday, but I'm willing to bet it will be negative.

Your dry cough is not at all worrisome or characteristic of acute HIV, so no worries there, OK?

We'll all keep our fingers (and toes) crossed for good luck that your results will be negative.

Thanks for your very kind words. Me, an angel? Nah, I like playing the piano, not the harp. Besides, I have way too much fun and am much too mischievous to qualify for a halo. My "love of life?" Yes, there I definitely agree. Speaking of which, I adore walking on the beach and watching the waves!

Thanks also for your contribution to The Foundation. I promise it will touch many lives.

Good luck. Stay well.

What is the relationship between Testosterone and Erythropoiesis
Is Medicago Sativa safe if you have HIV/HCV?