Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is the relationship between Testosterone and Erythropoiesis
Oct 17, 2002

Dr. I have been told that men typically have more RBCs than Women primarialy due to the presence of testosterone. Can you tell me about the relationship between Testosteronr and Erythropoiesis, what are the mechanisms that testosterone effects that in turn effect RBC production. Thanks much, I would greatly appreciate a deeper understanding here. Regards; Richard

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Richard,

That's a short simple question that unfortunately has a very long and quite complicated answer that is beyond the scope of this forum. However, I'll try to hit the high points for you. Women have lower "normal" ranges of RBC's and hemoglobin than men, for several reasons. Menstruation, for instance, is a source of monthly blood loss. Hormones, including testosterone, also are an important part of the picture.

Erythropoiesis is the production of new red blood cells. This is accomplished primarily in the bone marrow, the red blood cell factory, so to speak. Erythropoiesis is stimulated primarily by erythropoietin (hence, the clever naming of that hormone!). Erythropoietin is produced in the kidneys. Androgens, including testosterone, are another type of hormone. One of the effects of androgens is to increase the production of erythropoietin. Another is to increase the responsiveness of immature bone marrow cells to the effects of erythropoietin. Simplistically, testosterone increases the output and effectiveness of erythropoietin, which in turn stimulates the production and regulation or red blood cells. Testosterone, and other androgens, has many other effects as well, which is why it is not used primarily for erythropoiesis.

Does that make any sense whatsoever? Sorry for the complex response, but hey, you asked the question! Hope that helps.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Labrynthitis
Next
Want to know!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.