Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Shocking Condom Statistics
Oct 13, 2002

URL: http://www.epigee.org/guide/condomfaq.html#std

Do condoms protect against sexually transmitted disease?

Latex or polyurethane (plastic) condoms are useful in helping to prevent certain diseases, such as HIV and gonorrhea. However, they are less effective protecting against herpes, trichomoniasis, and chlamydia. Condoms provide almost no protection against HPV, the cause of genital warts and cervical cancer.

Are condoms a good way to keep from getting AIDS?

Condoms will reduce your chance of infection, compared to having sex without any form of protection. Nonetheless, one in three AIDS victims will contract the disease from an infected partner despite 100 use of condoms. One study found that among married couples where one partner was HIV-positive, 17 of the uninfected spouses contracted the disease, despite the use of condoms. The best way to prevent AIDS is abstinence. More about HIV/AIDS....

"Nonetheless, one in three AIDS victims will contract the disease from an infected partner despite 100 use of condoms. " - I was shocked to see this statistics. I was thinking there is something like 2 possibility of infection if you use latex condom ?

I think, that site has some wrong information. What do you say ?

Thanks

from Fremont( Hi Neighbor ! )

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Neighbor!

The statement that "one in three AIDS victims will contract the disease from an infected partner despite 100 per cent use of condoms" is pure doggy do-do! This is not a statistic; it's a piece of propaganda for folks who believe the only way to prevent AIDS is by abstinence. Sure, I agree that abstinence will indeed prevent HIV and other STDs. It's also absolutely not a viable option for most warm-blooded normal human beings. Me, for instance!

Let me show you how these loose associations can be misleading. Every year, lots of birds migrate to the South in the fall. Within several weeks, snow falls in the North. Therefore, the "fact" would be that "Birds flying south are the cause snow fall in the North." See what I mean? Pure doggy do-do!!!!

I totally agree with you, good neighbor - the information on that site is indeed "shocking," mainly because it's so misleading as to be dangerous. Hopefully everyone reading this forum knows latex condoms properly used are extremely effective in preventing the transmission of HIV and many other sexually transmitted disease. I never leave home without them!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
How long does Procrit take to work?
Next
Scared as h_ll......

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.