Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

androgel - long term use
Oct 7, 2002

Hi. Thanks for all the help. This forum is great.

I am doing great and really don't want to change anything. I had steroid shots every other week from last September to December, did the patch for two months and then moved on to Androgel. I've been on it since. It has helped my sex drive and energy level a lot. Should I be concerned about being on it so long? I have had no bad side effects but don't want to cause worse problems for myself in the future. Also, what is cycling and would it be helpful. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Glad to hear things are going well for you with both your energy and sex drive "up," so to speak. Should you be concerned about testosterone replacement's long-term side effects? No, not really. If you are using testosterone to replace a testosterone deficiency (hypogonadism), and you keep your levels in the normal range, you should be fine. Are there potential side effects? Sure, as with most meds, there are potential problems. Testosterone can make prostate cancers worse; it can cause some shrinkage of the size of your testicles, etc. However, being hypogonadal (allowing your testosterone to be below the normal range) is definitely associated with problems as well - fatigue, loss of muscle mass, and pooped-out, unhappy Mr. Happy's. So what to do? Well, that's "up" to you. I'm staying on my AndroGel and my Mr. Happy and biceps second my decisions. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
May I woo hoo after 3 yrs anxiety?
Next
Got Tested

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.