Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lifestyle?
Sep 30, 2002

Bob,

Over the past year and a half I have felt evermore fatigued and tired. Two years ago i took a blood test whch showed that i was slightly anaemic. I travel three hours every day in total to and from work and i get uop at six and do not have my breakfast until ten. I then follow this up with a lunch and very rarely a full evening meal. I cannot participate in any exercise because by the time i get home i am very tired. I alsoget recurrent throat infections and a constant need to stretch. This year i had a second blood test and it showed that my white blood cell count had decreased. I am scared that this is due to me contracting HIV, as i had unprotected sex a year and a half ago with a Spanish girl.I also tend to get colds very easily. Do you think that these symptoms are any cause for concern? Perhaps i am just frightened of the possibility that i may have something more serious. I hope that you can help and appreciate that you probably get questions like this all the time.

Thanks

Dan

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Dan,

Yep, all the time! Check back in the archives and you'll find similar stories.

First things first. Your schedule sounds like a nightmare. Is it worth it? Maybe you should re-evaluate the priorities in your life and consider some changes.

Are you still anemic? Is it getting worse? If so, you need to find out why. It could be nutritional (iron, vitamins, etc.) or perhaps a slow intestinal bleed or perhaps it was just a transient phenomenon that spontaneously resolved.

Your throat infections and need to stretch are not signs of HIV.

Unprotected sex does carry some risk, but the odds are in your favor for being negative. Go ahead and get tested to set your mind at ease.

Being tired is not an excuse for not exercising.

Remember, Dan, all work and no play (or exercise) makes Dan a dull (and tired) boy. Make some changes. Life's too precious a gift to let slip through your fingers.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Anemia
Next
fatigue

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.