Dr. Robert Gallo thinks a vaccine witin in 5 years!

Dr. Bob: Hi. I just read that Gallo thinks a working vaccine may arrive within 5 years. WHat is your take on this? And do you think the infected might yeild some use from this vaccine? Many thanks for your reply and service at thebody.com. Duncan from the Scottish Highlands

Hello Duncan from the Scottish Highlands,

Are there any low lands in Scotland? I've always wanted to visit, but the closest I've come is seeing Braveheart. Mel's accent wasn't very good, was it?

Well, lets hope Bob Gallo is correct. He's been wrong more times than right with his predictions in the past, but who knows? Personally, I'd guess closer to 10 years before a vaccine is really ready for prime time. There are 2 types of vaccines - "Preventative" to prevent becoming infected with HIV and "Therapeutic" to stimulate the immune system of a person with the virus in hopes of improving immune control over the infection. Both types of vaccines are under development. Stay tuned to The Body for developments on vaccines, immune-based therapies, as well as all major breakthroughs. Our experts will post promising news as it evolves! Stay well.

Training, anaemia, and HIV - please answer :o)
chat room