Please DR BOB Consumed with exudate

Dear Dr Bob

I have noticed that you have been away for a while. I trust you are in good health and hopefully sucking the marrow out of life like i get the feeling you do. I have tried mailing to other experts to no avail. To be honest, I find many of their responses to miss the point of the question. You seem to be the only one who systematically greets people by name (or nom-de-plume, at least)and interact with people as people rather then as unwelcome chores. Granted, I would rather have dodgy curt opinions than none at all - so thanks to all, but especially you, sir!

Some weeks Ago I had a low risk exp. with a v. high risk partner (professional, I'd say 50 chance of pos., I'll spare you the details). Well, she engaged me in a hj and used her finger in the opening of my derrier for a short while.

Needless to say, it was POssible that she had excreter beneath her nails, or cuts on her fingers - I just can't say.

When I woke up, less intoxicated it had dawned on me what I'd done. Remember, not the lowish risk activites but the nature of the girl.

Anxiious as hell I just prayed that I would not experience symptoms but right in the middle -slap bang in the prototypical time frame for ARD - (3 weeks) i developed an extremely mild sore throat. I've had this for nearly 10 days - there appear to be no other symptoms and it only hurts a teeny bit say on two swallows out of the day.

However, through extensive research I have read that the first AIDS patient presented with excreting tonsilitus. TO my horror, another expert on this site said All - ALL - ARS cases had tonsilitus.

Hence my questions:

1/ I think the tonsils are swollen a bit but I just don't know, they seem to be a bit veiny. How the hell do you know if you tons are swollen in the absence of pain?

2/ I don't know if they are exudating or not. I know I am swallowing shit loads of what tastes like snot but how does one differentiate spittle from exudate.

3/ Can this extremely mild but 10 day old and counting sore (in the mildest sense, and With NO accompanying symptoms) be the SOLE indicating sympton of ARS?

4/ If I went to the doctor he would do a culture and say that a) it was a virus or b) it was bacterial.

If it was a) could I assume that the virus could be HIV?

I am too scared to go to the doctor as if he ordered blood tests etc it may show a high viral load and my secret would be out and believe me I would be out of a job where I live.

4/ Some symptons associataed with ARS appear to make sense. Fever caused by body's attempt to regulate and kill the virus (?); swollen lymph nodes indicating immune fight back (or infiltration) (?) but what about the rash ? what is the point of that thing

4 What is your advice to people like me in the window period? Optimism ? Prepare for the worst (?)

Doctor, and HIV+ anemia /fatigue sufferers, I apologise sincerely for taking up time in this forum. It is my last (only) resort.

In the pursuit of peace God speed to all of us!

Consumed

Hello Consumed,

"Consumed with exudate"??? Now that sounds really nasty! I'm glad you apologized to the HIV+ anemia and fatigue sufferers, because apparently they are getting extremely upset with me for replying to so many worried wells. The New York Jacks (HIV+ fatigue/anemia folks) are, of course, correct that this forum is dedicated to fatigue and anemia only. So, I too will apologize not only to them, but also to the over 500 worried wells who have questions waiting for me at this very moment in my mailbox. (And those are questions that were sent within the past few weeks only!) I will not be able to reply to you, but I also want you to know I'm not purposely ignoring you. Please redirect your questions to The Body's forum on Safe Sex and HIV Prevention. Also, check back on our archives, as I may have answered a question similar to yours in the past. New York Jack, with that said, I'll at least answer "Consumed's" question, OK? After all the guy is "consumed with exudate" and all....

Back to you, "Consumed." Thanks for your very kind remarks and yes, "sucking the marrow out of life" is quite a good metaphor for me! Now, how come you want me to answer all these questions, but when it comes to describing your risk experience, you want to "spare me the details?" Geee, that's usually the best part! First of all, it's important to point out the "nature of the girl" (or boy, for that matter) isn't really important. It's what you did with them that counts! Hand jobs are not considered risky at all. Likewise for fingers at the opening of your derriere. And what the heck is "excreter?" Perhaps you mean "excreta," which is urine, feces, or sweat. Again, this is not a problem unless she had nails like Barbra Streisand.

Now your symptoms - "extremely mild sore throat" with no other related symptoms! And the throat only "hurts a teeny bit on two swallows out of the day" ??? Hmmmm, no wonder folks struggling to survive with HIV/AIDS get frustrated reading concerns like these. No, you don't have tonsillitis. Tonsillitis hurts - a lot! Normal tonsils often look "veiny" and somewhat prominent. This is not exudate. Differentiating spittle from exudates? Spittle is spit. Exudate is thick pus. Easy enough? As for why you're swallowing "shit loads of snot," well I'm afraid that's beyond the scope of this forum.

Do I think you have ARS? Absolutely not! If you went to a doctor, most likely they would tell you your tonsils are completely normal and not do even a throat culture. That test is done when you have exudates (pus). He/she might wonder about the "tons of snot" back there. No, cultures of the throat cannot indicate HIV as the cause.

ARS rash? That's easy. Lots of viral infections are associated with rashes - mumps, measles, etc. Again, it's the body's immune system fighting off an invader.

My advice to people like you? Optimism. Very definitely optimism. You do not have HIV. I'd also suggest you stop wasting your life doing "extensive research" on a condition you definitely do not have. Instead, consider spending that time volunteering at an AIDS hospice! It will give you a whole new perspective on life and I guarantee you'll never ever complain about trivial symptoms again.

New York Jacks and I wish you well.

Anemia-like shortness of breath?
Training, anaemia, and HIV - please answer :o)