many symptoms and tests

Dr. Frascino,

I live in PA(a good neighbor). I had a potential exposure 8 month ago. I started to experience various symptoms at 6th week until now: headache, night sweat(x3), diarrhea(4 months, on and off), white tongue(5 months), mounth ulcer(3 months), fatigue(1 week), joint/muscal pain, dizziness & neck stiffness(3 days), and nerve pain on feet and hands most recently. I've tested ELISA at 3, 6, and 7.5 months and bDNA at 4 month and all were negative. I've seen 6 doctors and have done many tests but they couldn't find any cause. What should I do next? Forget about HIV? Can I make an appointment with you? Many thanks...

Hello Neighbor!

I'm assuming PA is Palo Alto and not Pennsylvania! Six doctors and many negative HIV tests out to 7.5 months following a potential exposure - should you forget about HIV? Absolutely! HIV is definitely not your problem! Now, exactly what your problem is I cannot say from the information you provided, but many of your symptoms are very nonspecific and may be related to anxiety over possible HIV infection. If a competent internist has evaluated your symptoms and could not find a cause, consider trying some counseling or therapy to see if stress and anxiety may be playing a role. You have no need for an HIV specialist. Find a competent internist who will work through this with you.

Wasn't it just a spectacular day here in the Bay Area today? I love these Indian summers. It just doesn't get any better than this, does it? Hope your feeling better and able to enjoy all the charms of the "neighborhood" very soon.

Procrit for Anemia???
HIV - Prostrain