South East Asia exposure

Dear Dr. Bob, I got an stupid possible exposure during my trip to South East Asia 8 months ago. Since then, I have developed many troubling symptoms. However, my two HIV antibodies tests taken at public clinic (in Santa Clara County) are negative. I noticed that the lab are done at the county public health lab). Since you also working in the county, do you know if the lab done there can detect infection from other strains of HIV that is more common in South East Asia (subtype E,C..etc) than the one in the US (subtype B). Thank you very much. I'm very worried. Your santa clara county neighbor.

Hey Neighbor!

I can't be certain which test assay the county was using on your particular blood, but yes, we do have tests to a broad range of subtypes. You can call them and ask them to check on your specific test if you want, but chances are you are fine.

See you around the hood!

Stay well.

Thank you Dr Bob
Procrit and Kava