RE: Have I ruled out HIV

Dear Dr.

Thankyou so much for your reply to me I cried when I recieved it. I have been so worried. If you remember me I recieved negative tests via PCR DNA, ELISA, Western Blot and P24 Antigen at 8 months post exposure. You told me that I need to see a therapist to help me because I have trouble accepting the negative tests...I'm seeing one next week. But to be fair there is alot of confusing info out there. I've have been told by an infectious disease doc that if it him he would test out to 1 year. Has this ever been the case? My doc (the one that tested me at 8 months PP) says that I'm fine and that I need to see a shrink. I'm caught in a circle...on the one hand one doc says I'm fine and it's my anxiety and the other says that if it were him he would test out to 1 year?? I've also read stuff on the web about health care workers and like 5 of them can take longer than 6 months to seroconvert (that was on pubMed). Doctor what am I to do....I trust your opinion..you said that all is OK but have the tests that I have done taken into accout all this delayed stuff...at this stage I just don't know wether or not I even have an anxiety problem or not! Please please respond and advise me....do you see my point? Do the tests today rule out the possibility of delayed seroconversion?

God bless you and keep you.

Ever so worried

Hello Ever-So-Worried,

Glad to be of service! I don't know what to say about that doctor who keeps telling you to test out to 1 year. I'll be willing to bet he is not an HIV specialist. The delayed seroconversion stuff refers to extremely rare cases with unusual circumstances and only involves antibody testing. Your case in not unusual, and you've had PCR DNA, antibody, and antigen tests out to 8 months. You just can't get any more negative than that!

Do you have an anxiety problem? Yep, I'd guess you do, and it may in part be due to all the confusing info you've been getting. Keep your appointment with the psychiatrist. Work on your anxiety, because HIV is definitely not your problem.

Stay well, and God Bless and keep you, too!

Fatigue, Muscle Soarness
goingcrazy