Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

fatigue?
Sep 7, 2002

I have never met you personally but you are the best in the medical profession that I have ever seen and probably will. After slightly over 12 weeks of HELL, I can finally say WOOHOO. But during this agonizing time, reading your replies helped me a great deal. I did not write sooner because you had already replied to whatever question i had. I write now, first to thank you but also to ask whether there is a sure way of distinguishing between fatigue as a result of HIV and fatigue due to anxiety. I am still not sure whether I was ever fatigued but i thought I was despite jogging three times a week for two miles and doing weights the other days without problem. When does HIV fatigue usually starts and how is it manifested? Once again, you are the best and it is a blessing that you are here for us.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks for your very kind comments. Boy do I know lots of guys who would love to have your type of fatigue - 2-mile jogs three times per week and weight lifting on the other days!!!

Fatigue is just a general term for tiredness, and can be anything from mild to incapacitating. You sound like you are in great shape. If you developed HIV-related anemia and consequently fatigue, you might first notice some exercise intolerance. For instance, instead of running your usual 2 miles, you might only be able to run 1 and feel wiped out or excessively short of breath. The distinguishing factor of HIV-fatigue versus anxiety-related fatigue is whether one has HIV disease or an anxiety disorder. Certainly it's possible to have both simultaneously. Do they feel any different? Not really. Wiped out is wiped out!

Congratulations on your WOO-HOO!!! Stay well. See you on the jogging trails, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Anxiety Attack and Symptoms. PLEASE HELP!!
Next
WOO HOO RESULTS!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.