Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anxiety Attack and Symptoms. PLEASE HELP!!
Sep 7, 2002

First, let me say thank you for being so upbeat, it really helps. About five days ago, I walked into a public restroom. I used a urinal and then moved over to a stall. Upon entering the stall, I noticed what appeared to be blood on the toilet seat (not just a drop, either). Anyhow, I left the bathroom immediately and soon washed my hands (which had no cuts or abrasions at the time). But I'm worried sick because I don't know if I happened to touch blood and be unaware of it, and even worse, let it come into contact with mucous membranes and not know it (for instance, when I used the urinal). I know the blood could not have been there for more than 90 minutes, because I was last there at that time and saw nothing. I don't recall coming into contact with blood nor letting this blood come into contact with membranes. But nonetheless, I feel I should be tested in three months and refuse any sexual activity to be safe. Then, about a day or two later, I noticed a scratchy throat. Five days later, I have a mildly scruffy throat, but no pain or swelling. No real other symptoms, but of course I will think every little thing is HIV. What do you recommend? THANK YOU...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Scruffy" throat? What's that? I thought scruffy was shabby or unkempt? Oh well, I really don't think your untidy throat is at all a worry.

Seeing blood on a toilet seat is not a risk for HIV. The virus can't attack you from across the stall, for heaven's sake! Even if blood touched your intact skin, you are not at risk. As for blood getting into your membranes, I'm quite confident you would remember if this had occurred. HIV does not live very long at all outside the body. Your risk of contracting HIV from what you describe is absolutely zero, zilch, nada, nyet - OK? Do you need to be tested? No. You did not have a risk exposure. What do I recommend? I'd recommend some therapy or counseling to help you with your HIV phobia.

As for the "scruffy throat," well, a Channel scarf or choker necklace might improve the situation.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
your advice 16 years!
Next
fatigue?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.