+5 years

I think you do a great job on this forum. I guess I would be considered a lurker (sp)because I had a possible exposure over 5 years ago. (unprotected intercourse w/ male I did not know, who stated he was in the military and was tested every 6 mos. and when I called his arm of service they said its 12 mos.) I was finally convinced after testing 3,6,9,12, 18 and so on and then being a blood donor that HIV is probably not the source of my problem. However, ever since I had the encounter with the guy, each time I have sex with my husband, I experience what can best be described as an "allergic" reaction. I've had rash (chest and face), tingling skin, loose bowels, and like a burning tongue. I went through all kinds of testing and basically my GP suggested I go on anti-depressants. It is only because of these continuing reactions that I monitor the body site to see if its possible that my husband and I are now both infected and when we have intercourse, I experience a reaction to the Hiv "injection" or is it possible that just COINCIDENTALLY< I have become allergic to my husband's sperm. Any info would be appreciated! Still searching

Dear Searching,

You are absolutely correct in being convinced that you are not HIV-infected. Negative tests at 3, 6, 9, 12, and 18 months are about as conclusive as you can possibly get! So why lurk around here?

Could it be psychogenic (i.e. all in your head)? Well, maybe. Could it be an allergic reaction to your husband's sperm? The answer to this is also maybe. The symptoms you describe do sound "allergic." It's a rare condition, but sperm allergy has been described before. If these "reactions" are continuing each time you have sex with your husband (and especially if they are getting progressively more severe), I'd suggest you check with a Board Certified Allergist. He or she can run specific tests to see if this is the problem. One thing that's for sure: It's not HIV!

Just let me know
cbc test normal. does that mean my hiv status neg?