Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Have I ruled out HIV
Aug 30, 2002

Dear Doctor,

I know very little about this. Doc says I'm fine but I don't know if he has taken into accout this thing called delayed seroconversion about some people taking longer to produce antibodies, I mean did it take you 3 months to convert? (sorry for asking). I'm just so worried. My test at 8 months post exposure was PCR DNA (HIV -1) Negative, ELISA 1\2 Negative, Western Blot 1\2 Negative and P24 Antigen Negative. What does all this mean....maybe I'm just stupid...like regardless of the risk of exposure can you ever be sure that you don't have HIV? One doc told me you have to wait 13 months...is this true? Anyway I think that you are an amazing person and God bless you and keep you.

King Regards,

Ever so worried

Response from Dr. Frascino

Dear Ever-So-Worried,

HIV PCR DNA wasn't even available when I seroconverted 11 years ago! All of your tests at 8 months are negative. "What does this all mean?" Care to take a guess? No, you are not being stupid. You are just fearful and anxious. I can tell you with great certainty that you are HIV-negative. Also for that "13 month" advice, I'm not sure who told you that, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Why not 13 years? Or 13 decades? If you can't believe you are HIV-negative, get some professional counseling and therapy. You are well. WOO-HOO. I hope you can soon feel the happiness and relief these results should bring to you.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Ex WW .. now whooooo!
Next
sunshine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.