The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV anemia tiredness vs. exhaustion
Aug 30, 2002

Hello, Could you tell me the difference between HIV anemia tiredness and HIV anemia exhaustion?'re the best. You always make me smile. Smiley

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Smiley,

Can I tell you the difference between being tired and being exhausted? Hmmmmm - is this a trick question? Well, let's see. There is an old proverb that might help: "Man who runs in front of car gets TIRED while man who runs behind car gets EXHAUSTED." Does that help?

OK, seriously, tiredness or exhaustion is just a measure of severity of fatigue. Anemia can be mild and cause only mild exercise intolerance or moderate, causing chronic tiredness, or more severe, leading to complete exhaustion. It can also cause lots of other symptoms as well, such as shortness of breath, paleness, headaches, decreased sex drive, and inability to concentrate. The important thing is to find out if your fatigue (tiredness or exhaustion) is related to anemia. If so, it's then equally important to determine what is the cause of the anemia. If it's HIV-related anemia of chronic disease or AZT-induced anemia, then the treatment of choice would be Procrit. Procrit stimulates the production of new red blood cells. More red blood cells mean more energy. It has a proven safety track record and has been shown in clinical trials to improve not only energy levels, but also quality of life.

Hope that helps.

Maybe you'll find that old proverb in a fortune cookie one of these days.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Anemia and night time sleep
Your Foundation Should...

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint