Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How Long Did It TAke?
Aug 27, 2002

Hi Dr. BOB

First and foremost, I want to thank you for all that you do. I find it astonishing that you are able to live w/ this S#@t disease with a great sense of humor and a very positive attitude.

I,m amazed reading some of the posts on this board from Worried Wells doubting their results after 8 Elisa's, PCR's DNA's, etc. etc... well after 6 months (I wish I had that luxury). I myself have had 3 negative Elisa's last one after about 5 1/2 months after low risk exposure and would love to believe my results.

I think that all us Worried Wells might be comforted in knowing how long it took you (a Dr. knowledgable in HIV) to test + after your unfortunate accident and was it via a standard Elisa?

I have been to numerous Dr,s re: ungoing symptoms mostly Gastro problems and all have told me that after 3 neg Elisa's I need to rule out HIV and continue looking for other causes for symptoms.

Thanks for your time WW

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey WW,

Thanks for your kind comments, and I agree this is a S#@t disease! As to my story, I seroconverted (standard ELISA and Western Blot) within the usual several-months timeframe following my occupational exposure. My experience may have been somewhat different from most of the folks writing in or reading this forum. I sustained a hollow-bore needle stick and laceration while doing a procedure on a patient with advanced-stage AIDS. I also took AZT within minutes of the exposure. No two seroconversions are the same, because of differences in viral strains and the ability of our individual immune systems to respond to the infection. One thing that we have learned over the past 2 decades of studying this virus is that multiple negative ELISA tests 3 to 6 months following a low-risk exposure is absolutely and positively conclusive that you are not HIV-positive. Please get help for your anxiety and worry, rather than continuing to search for a non-existent HIV infection. See a gastroenterologist, if your stomach continues to bother you. Life is much too precious a gift to waste even a single minute with needless worry.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
insertive oral sex with bruised-lip guy
Next
Wahoooo From Aussie Keng time

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.