re:autoimmune disorders

dr.bob, i had thyroid cancer in may of 98 and was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 the same month. i take both thyroid and diabetes medication on a daily basis.In jan of 00 i had a risky exposure and began to have symptoms of hiv--rash, sore throat,swollen glands. i ave taken hiv tests at 3,6,9 & 12 months--all neg. i took a pcr test at 6 and 12 months again neg.I would like to know is it possible that the combination of throid cancer and diabetes could cause the atibody test to be inacurate and the pcr test (to 10 copies) to early to pick up the hiv infection. I still have all the symptoms but my doctor thinks i'am nuts. also could these diseases cause me to be one of those non-producers of antibodies? no one has yet to give me a straight answer thanx for any help you may be able to give me ---truly concerned

Hello Truly Concerned,

Even though I'm gay, I'll be happy to give a straight answer to your question. Thyroid cancer and/or diabetes will not affect your HIV antibody or PCR tests. Your negative antibody tests at 3,5,9, and 12 months and negative PCR tests at 5 and 12 months are absolutely conclusive that you do not have HIV. Besides, with thyroid cancer and diabetes, don't you have enough to deal with without adding HIV to the list? Rash, sore throat, and swollen glands are all extremely common symptoms, which can occur in an enormous number of medical conditions. Exactly what's causing your symptoms I can't say without additional tests, etc. However, I can say with absolute certainty that it's not HIV!

That's about as straight as I can get! Hope it helps. Good luck.

Will you comment?
insertive oral sex with bruised-lip guy