Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

re:autoimmune disorders
Aug 27, 2002

dr.bob, i had thyroid cancer in may of 98 and was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 the same month. i take both thyroid and diabetes medication on a daily basis.In jan of 00 i had a risky exposure and began to have symptoms of hiv--rash, sore throat,swollen glands. i ave taken hiv tests at 3,6,9 & 12 months--all neg. i took a pcr test at 6 and 12 months again neg.I would like to know is it possible that the combination of throid cancer and diabetes could cause the atibody test to be inacurate and the pcr test (to 10 copies) to early to pick up the hiv infection. I still have all the symptoms but my doctor thinks i'am nuts. also could these diseases cause me to be one of those non-producers of antibodies? no one has yet to give me a straight answer thanx for any help you may be able to give me ---truly concerned

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Truly Concerned,

Even though I'm gay, I'll be happy to give a straight answer to your question. Thyroid cancer and/or diabetes will not affect your HIV antibody or PCR tests. Your negative antibody tests at 3,5,9, and 12 months and negative PCR tests at 5 and 12 months are absolutely conclusive that you do not have HIV. Besides, with thyroid cancer and diabetes, don't you have enough to deal with without adding HIV to the list? Rash, sore throat, and swollen glands are all extremely common symptoms, which can occur in an enormous number of medical conditions. Exactly what's causing your symptoms I can't say without additional tests, etc. However, I can say with absolute certainty that it's not HIV!

That's about as straight as I can get! Hope it helps. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Will you comment?
Next
insertive oral sex with bruised-lip guy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.