Hello from Alaska

Hi Doc,

I've asked Safe Sex several times but never got an answer. I hope you will give consideration to my question.

I had what you call a "low risk" encounter in Alaska (head of penis rubbed against vagina for 20 sec without inserting... maybe a little of the head). Is this enough to warrant testing? I guess the only thing that gives me assurance is the low prevelance in the State and also that I didn't penetrate into the vagina.

However, I've been having dry throat symptoms and seem to thrust my tongue against my teeth in the night (evident by the teeth imprints on my tongue and it seems to leave a numb almost burning feeling the when I wake up). I've never had these symptoms before. Also, my back of throat (epiglottis?) looks like it has a whitish color to it. It doesn't hurt but I wonder is this acid reflux or some other disease? I can't get anyone to answer me. Please help. thanks Doc.

AK Man

Hello Alaska Man,

Your risk is extremely low - 20 seconds of rubbing without (or minimal) insertion. Yes, the prevalence of HIV in Alaska is quite low. Maybe it's because the weather is so cold that you guys wear condoms as an extra layer just to stay warm. Actually, the weather in Alaska last week was spectacular. Sunny skies from Glacier Bay to Juneau! Your dry throat and tongue thrusting symptoms are not indicative of HIV infection. The white stuff in the back of your throat is probably snow. You live in Alaska, right? OK, just kidding. It's probably completely normal and most likely related to a bit of post-nasal drip.

Worried Wells, please remember this forum is for HIV-related anemia and fatigue. I'd love to answer all your questions, but that would be impossible. There appears to be a lot of worry out there. Read the other questions and replies, particularly in the Safe Sex and HIV Prevention Forum. Chances are you'll find symptoms similar to what you are concerned about and our suggestions as to what to do about them.

Good luck!

Please answer this time doc. B
The tube popped