Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please answer this time doc. B
Aug 25, 2002

Mr. Frascino,

I had submitted my case to you around a month or so ago. I had explained my situation to you about being with a girl and my condom broke which led to some strange symptoms within 3 weeks after the event, most concerning swollen lymph glands in the neck, headaches and night sweats. Well I have been tested twice since the event and happily they were negative at 5.5 weeks and 8 weeks.

The questions I have now is whether or not the testing I had done is accurate for detecting antibodies? I visited a local clinic and they use the ORASURE swab testing and what I have read is that it is supposedly just as reliable of an option to blood tests. But I have also read that antibody detection while using these tests is lower leading to be not as reliable compared to the blood tests.

What is your take on a negative at 5.5 and 8 weeks with this kind of testing?Would this test detect antibodies produced after having symptoms like I have mentioned? Is this comforting and will I have a decent chance of being negative at 12 weeks? Sir your professional response is highly desired considering the lack of professional M.D. knowledge at public clinics.

I am sorry for asking you these questions but I thoroughly enjoy reading your responses and how professional and joyful you are in the process. Thank you Doc.

Alan

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Alan,

Certainly negative tests (Orasure or blood tests) at 5.5 and 8 weeks are encouraging, but as you probably know, it's the 3-month test that really counts. Your risk exposure - failed condom - does put you at some degree of risk, but the odds are most definitely in your favor for being HIV-negative.

Yes, our public clinics are overrun with folks needing help. Unfortunately, our government officials don't seem to be very concerned about that; particularly when HIV is involved. Remember that when you go to the voting booths!

The studies I've seen have shown Orasure testing to be quite accurate. If your test is negative, as I assume it will be, at 12 weeks, I think you can yell WOO-HOO with a big sigh of relief! Also make sure you're using proper condom techniques. They very rarely break when used properly. Use a reliable brand and take care when putting them on. Continue to practice safer sex and stay well.

Best of luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Freaking out.
Next
Hello from Alaska

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.