Is this an anemic attack?

Dr. Bob:

For the past few years I have been experiencing off and on attacks. I was diagnosed iron-deficient anemic 3 years ago after giving blood. Ever so often I have attacks that start out with feeling weak, dizzy, and fatigued. Then my body feels like it shuts down and tingly. I remain conscious but I cannot concentrate on what is going on around me. My body shakes for about 2-4 minutes and then I'm fine, just really weak. I find it happens about a week before my period. The last time it happened, I had an extreme pain in my right side between my lungs and ribs that went away as soon as the attack was over. Is this because of the anemia? or could something else be wrong? I really appreciate any response!

Thanks, AS

Hello AS,

This forum is for HIV-related problems with fatigue and anemia. Are you HIV-positive? If so, write back with additional details of your medications, hemoglobin levels, and other lab tests. If you are not HIV-positive, as I suspect, please check with your doctor. If you are indeed iron-deficient, then iron supplementation would be helpful. Anemia can be associated with fatigue, weakness, dizziness, and lack of concentration, as you describe. However, it is generally not associated with pain, or episodes of shaking, and does not come on suddenly like an "attack." Perhaps you are having panic attacks or any of a variety of other conditions. It certainly sounds uncomfortable and frightening, so I would recommend you get this checked out sometime soon. Hope that helps.

Thanks!
Freaking out.