how you doin? Enzymes as Lysin and Helper Fighter RNA

Hi Dr. Bob, You are the man! I wanted to know how you are doing with your health? I hope your doing great and will continue to do great for as long as you want. Don't ever think that all of us here don't appreciate the kind advice and wisdom you share with us everytime you write. My question deals with enzymes as Lysin and Helper Fighter RNA that has been discovered by scientists. Do such discoveries such as this offer us new hope against the fight agaisnt hiv? What about also gene therapy? What is your professional take on these areas?

I know that there is no definite answer, but in general what is now the life expectancy for individuals with HIV who choose to get treatment for recently infected individuals? I mean with treatment how long are we expected to survive?

Thanks and please stay well! Your one damn fine man!

Shannon O.

Hello Shannon O!

My health is remaining reasonably stable. Thanks for asking! The recent discoveries involving RNA, gene therapies, and enzyme treatments are indeed encouraging, but are very preliminary. The good news is that they offer new avenues for research into therapies other than just potent antiviral drugs. In order to conquer or cure this illness, we will need not only excellent, non-toxic, and potent anti-viral drugs, but also therapies to strengthen the immune system's ability to fight the virus. I'd love to go into detail on these topics, but it's beyond the scope of this particular forum. Check with your local AIDS service organizations and see if I'll be lecturing at a location near you sometime in the future. I'll be happy to talk about these promising new potential therapies at any of my presentations.

Life expectancy for HIV-positive folks is dependent on many factors. One of the most important is having a knowledgeable and compassionate HIV/AIDS specialist involved in your care. If therapy is started appropriately, and if it is well tolerated, I would hope for many, many years of active and productive life. Since the potent therapies we now use were only approved for use in 1996, exactly how long they will work for us is not definitely known. However, all indications are that the medications do keep the virus in check. Now we must learn how to live with the side effects of the medications. And we are getting better at that.

Personally, I plan to die of old age! Care to join me?

Stay well, Shannon O!

so you're the immu"Titan"hmmmm
Further testing?