Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Update: What tests next
Aug 9, 2002

Dear Dr. Frascino!

Thank you for kind answer!

I have some additional followup data, some good and some maybe bad. Maybe you can help me sort this out.

GOOD: Well the HCV-PCR (at wk 11) was also negative, and a 12week antibody (homekit done by nurse)test was also negative. The good thing about HEP-C is that my lab values (3 months after pot. exposure) are normal (ASAT=17, ALAL=15, gammaGt=19)

PROBLEM: now my problem!! i wanted to know what my TCells are, and.. what did i see: CD3=919 (60) CD4=499 (33) CD8=376 (24), Cd4/Cd8 = 1.4.

Does this reflect the picture of a resent HIV infection? I do not know how high my CD4 count was before the incidence but...499 just looks awful to me!

is this the proof (main incidence) that all the other expensive tests could not deliver?

thank you! joe, shocked

[PS: you asked what i meant with "vulnerable skin" - for several days i had the feeling that my skin was itchy and could get bruised/injured very very easy. this was when HEP-C came into my mind, because such skin problems can be related to the liver...]

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Shocked Joe,

T cells respond to all sorts of things in addition to HIV. Your numbers are not at all alarming to me. You do not have HIV (or hep C), so this cannot be driving your T-cells either up or down. There is a wide range of normal for T cells. Your CD8 cells are normal; your CD4s minimally (and most likely transiently) depressed; and your ratio is also quite normal. Does this reflect HIV? No, it does not!

Stop being shocked and stop trying to make yourself HIV+ or hepatitis C-positive when you are not. If you can't accept the fact that you are not HIV- and hepatitis C-negative, seek counseling. HIV/hepatitis C are not your problem!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
DR BOB U ARE MY LAST HOPE{INDIA}
Next
RE: The simplist question(aug 7th)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.