hiv in lube??

Dear Dr. Bob,

I have a strange quesion. I had a protected anal sex with a men.I was the receptive parnter. We used water based lube. Now I have a paranoid fear that somebody might injected virus contaiminated fluid into the lube while on the store shelf as it kind of looked as if it had been opened( the sticker).

Please say is it possible for the virus to live in such an environment?

Is it possible that otherwise normal educated person as I am could come up with such a paranoid idea just because of feeling a guilt for having had sex with a person of the same gender?

Had somebody asked me such a question I would lough and say you are crazy, but beleive me I don't feel like loughing right now. Should I seek counceling?

Thanks and hope this is not to bizare to be posted on the web.

Many thanks and best regards Marco

Hello Marco!

Too bizarre to be posted in my forum? Are you kidding? You haven't been reading this forum for very long, have you? Actually your question is quite mild when it comes to irrational fears! HIV does not survive very long outside the body. No, it would not live in a bottle of Astroglide, elbow grease, Wet, hot lube, or any other such product. And what kind of whacko would be stalking your local Walgreens' condom and lube aisle with an HIV-loaded syringe, trying to inject bottles of slippery stuff? Could guilt and anxiety over having sex with a person of the same gender cause an otherwise normal educated person to come up with paranoid ideas??? Absolutely! Homosexuality (or a homosexual experience) can carry with it all sorts of psychological baggage - religious beliefs, puritanical upbringing, social stigma, prejudice, etc. Should you seek, counseling? Sure, I think it might help relieve not only your irrational fears of HIV infection, but perhaps more importantly help you understand what was behind your actions in the first place. There is nothing wrong or shameful about same gender sex. You used a condom and therefore are at no risk for HIV.

Good luck!

Is it possible
HIV Doctor