Apnea

Dr. Bob: I see that when you are listing your possible causes of fatigue, you still are not listing apnea. They are finding that this condition is more and more common with people with HIV. Further, if you are apnea prone, both anti anxiety meds and testosterone are being found to exhasterbate the condition (people with HIV are often on these medications!). Its just a suggestion . . .adding testosterone if you have apnea could actually INCREASE the degree of apnea and fatigue for a person with HIV!

Thanks for writing back again. I'm not aware that apnea is "more and more common with people with HIV." In general, HIV or not, sleep apena is an underdiagnosed and often unrecognized condition. The sleep apnea syndromes are a group of disorders characterized by periodic cessation of breathing, nocturnal sleep arousal, and low oxygen concentrations in the blood. The exact cause or causes remain unclear. It is seen most commonly in massively obese males. Some cases involve decreased drive to breathe; others are related to anatomical obstruction. HIV-positive folks with large buffalo humps may be at increased risk. Yes, people with sleep apnea are indeed more tired during the day. Fatigued HIV-positive folks can talk this possibility over with their HIV specialists. If necessary, a sleep study can be done to check it out. OK? Hope that addresses your concerns. Thanks again. Now I hope you can have a restful night's sleep!!

Not a question, just a thank you. Please read
which tests next?