Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please,please.help me im going crazy !
Aug 8, 2002

please i hope you answer my quetion! ok here is the scoop,back in 1999 i had unprotected sex for about10-15 mins and he did not penetrate at all. im now married and we had a baby almost two yrs ago when i had blood work done while i was pregnant my doctor told me iron was low and put me one iron pills and said all my tests came back fine. well when my son was 10 months old i was diagnosed with cervical cancer(hpv) i think that is what my doc called it. anyway now im totaly scared that i have hiv . my son will be turning two and has been fine. and i dont know if i have hiv or not ,i know i should be tested, but shouldnt my doc tested me for hiv? i live in maryland and i dont know if its manitory to test for hiv. i dont have any other signs of hiv . am i going crazy and woreying over nothing? and i did breast feed my son witch is why im scared too. do u think my doc should have had me tested or do u think its very low for me to have hiv? i dont know if the partner i was with had hiv . and my husband is trying to assure me that with all the blood work i have had done they would have found something. please help me!!! i love that you are sooo kind and i hope you can answer my quetions and help me relaxe thank you, worried in maryland

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried in Maryland,

I don't know if mandatory prenatal testing is done in Maryland or not. You could call your ob-gyn doctor and ask if you were tested. HPV-induced cervical cancer does not mean you automatically have HIV. HPV is Human Papiloma Virus. HIV is Human Immunodeficiency Virus, a totally different virus. If your exposure back in 1999 did not involve penetration, you really have essentially no risk. The fact both of you and your son have been fine is also very encouraging.

What to do? Call your OB and ask if you were HIV tested before giving birth. If so, and it was negative, you are fine. If not, and you can't stop worrying about this, go ahead and get the test. It will be negative and you'll WOO-HOO with relief. Do I actually think you need an HIV test? No, I don't. I'm ready to WOO-HOO for you right now, but if you need the extra reassurance, don't worry. I'm confident everything is just fine.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please it is important
Next
condom but fatigue

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.