Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

italian in distress need your guidance!!!
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. Bob

Please help me!! Here is my story.

I have been with my girlfriend for 3 1/2 years now and i love her very very much. I have been nothing but faithful to her since we have been together. Not even a kiss from another woman. You dont know how many women I had to dissapoint durring this time =)).

Prior to us getting together i was kind of a "player". I mean I was in college so you know, i had my fun. And being in college and not really thinking to much a lot of that fun was unfortunatley unprotected.

Right before i met my current girlfriend i had a one night stand with a girl i met at a club. I dont know why, but i had always had a bad feeling about her. Maybe due to the fact that she was so easy =))..But i did have that effect on woman...Anyways, we had a one night stand of full intercourse and she was the last girl i slept with before meeting my current girlfriend. Since that night, i have always been paranoid that i had possibly contracted HIV from her. I have not been tested in like 5 years. My girlfriend got tested one month after we started dating and then about a year ago she donated blood and they sent her a letter saying her blood was fine and thanked her. During the course of our 3 years i mean i have gone through the normal colds and flus, but no really other symptoms until recently i developed a swollen gland in my groin area and its freaking me out.

So here is my question, lets say theoretically i had hiv from before i met my gf. Since she donated blood last year (2 1/2 years into our relationship and a lot of sex) is their a possibility she could not have contracted it yet or the blood test not picked it up? And can i assume since she is negative that i am aswell? So like what im saying is it possible for her not to have got HIV if i had it after 3 years of steady sexual relations.

YOU ARE THE BEST DOCTOR...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Italian-guy,

You know that one-night-stand that you thought was so easy might just be thinking the exact same thing about you! So what can I deduce from your story? Well, most certainly, your girlfriend is HIV-negative. She has tested negative now and on several other occasions. Can you use her negative status to assume you must be HIV-negative as well? No, you cannot. You were a "player" and didn't' use protection, so you've placed yourself at some risk. The swollen gland in the groin is really not very worrisome for HIV, as it can be caused by a number of conditions. Do I think you are HIV-negative? Most likely, yes. Can you or I be sure? No, not without a test. Stop freaking out and trying to use your girlfriend as a home HIV test. Go get an HIV test. It most likely will be negative and you can finally put your lingering fears to rest. It's the only way, big guy. No more guesses, no more excuses, just do it. You'll be gland you did.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
The simplest question...
Next
please answer, have tried and tried

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.