Bob, Please answer!

Let me first say that you do a great job anwsering these questions! But, I am absolutely terrifed. Almost 2 years ago I had protected vaginal sex with a prostitute in Thailand. I had no problems with the condom and did not engage in any other risky behavior. I know that the condom greatly reduces my risk of exposure.What concerns me is this: 2 days layer I got sick with diarrhea and chills. This lasted for about 2 days. At the time , I didn't think anything of the illness because I was traveling abroad and I assumed I had come down with a travel- related bug or eaten something weird. Could my body have been reacting so soon ? I have done a lot of research on this site about the onset of symptoms related to inital infection and almost all the experts agree that there exists a time frame (at least 7 days) before one would experience any symptoms. I even called the Center for Disease Control Hotline and they gave me some different answers. I plan on getting tested very soon but I am very scared and was hoping you could shine some light on my situation and clear up the confusion. Thank you very much!

This happened 2 years ago? Why are you freaking out now? You were correct 2 years ago when you assumed you had "contracted a travel-related buy or eaten something weird. " That is indeed the most likely cause. Could your body have been reacting so soon (2 days)? Your research says no, the CDC says no, and no you want me to "shine some light on your situation and clear up the confusion?" What situation and what conclusion? You had protected sex, and therefore no significant risk for HIV. You had some symptoms that lasted for 48 hours 2 days after your sex adventure in Thailand. This is too early for HIV seroconversion. The light I can shine is to say I can't see why you are so worried. Take the test if you want. You'll be WOO-HOOing when you get the results. Stay well.

Should I be worried?
Can't Sleep - It's me again